The summer Farmers’ Market may have come to a close for the season, but the Fishers Fall Farmers’ Market is now open through December 17, and it’s all online and contactless. It’s easy to create an account and place your order each week between Saturdays at 9 a.m. through Wednesdays at noon. They’ll even deliver to your front door for free!
As the days get colder out, I plan to stay warm surrounded by family and friends, hosting a fabulous fall dinner party all while supporting local businesses. Here are some ideas of what to add to your cart to throw your own dinner party this holiday season:
Start the evening off right with an impressive charcuterie board for your guests. Creating a spread that’s also aesthetically pleasing can be as simple as getting a variety of meats, cheeses, and spreads arranged on a platter.
In the spirit of keeping things simple but delicious, the main dish should be quick and easy too, so you can enjoy yourself with your party instead of being in the kitchen the entire time. Here’s a sheet pan chicken dish recipe that even the most amateur cooks can master:
Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Potatoes – (Recipe from https://www.thereciperebel.com/honey-garlic-chicken-thighs/)
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs from Hidden Acres
- 1 1.2 cups of green beans from Hidden Acres
- 1 lb of baby potatoes
- ⅓ cup of honey from Beeliving
- 1 tbsp of low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- Stir together your honey garlic sauce: honey, soy sauce, garlic, and vinegar. Pour half of the sauce mixture into a large freezer bag with chicken thighs and marinate for 30 to 60 minutes, or overnight if desired. Refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together salt, pepper and garlic powder and season chicken thighs and vegetables.
- Place chicken thighs on one side of the pan and vegetables on the other side.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, pour remaining sauce mixture into a small saucepan and whisk in corn starch. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, cooking and whisking until thickened.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and brush chicken with thickened sauce. Bake for 5 more minutes, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F and vegetables are tender.
Finish off a well-spent evening with something sweet and made locally. The online Fall Farmers’ Market offers everything from pies, to cookies and cake pops.
Whether you have a special occasion to celebrate or you just want to gather your loved ones this season, shopping local will make any dinner party extra special and meaningful! Head over to the Fishers Fall Farmers’ Market page to start shopping.
Rachel Cho has been a Fishers resident for seven years. Her favorite things to do in Fishers are eating at local restaurants and visiting the Fishers Farmers Market almost every Saturday with her family. She loves sushi and Korean bbq, trying out and recommending the newest restaurants in Indy, photography, and true crime podcasts. She loves that there are so many fun parks and playgrounds nearby to take her kids to, as well as the Farmers’ Market because it makes them feel connected to the community when they eat and shop local. She is also a stay-at-home mom to 3-year-old triplets, and she and her husband make a pretty great team wrangling three toddlers and two dogs. Follow her on Instagram at @rdklove.